- This article is about the episode. For the Classic Scooby-Doo VHS subtitled with the same name, see Classic Scooby-Doo: Which Witch is Which?.
After coming home from a fishing trip, the gang run into a witch and a zombie who have been haunting the swamp and scaring everyone off.
Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby are returning from a failed fishing trip and take a shortcut through a dark, creepy swamp. They pull over to ask for directions from a man with a lantern on the side of the road, but it appears the man is a zombie!
The gang speed away and find a general store. Inside, is a man named Zeke who tells them that the zombie was conjured up by a witch that is supposed to live in the swamp with her magical voodoo powers. Zeke says that he and his partner Zeb Perkins saw her conjuring the zombie, while hunting frogs in the swamp six months ago. Shaggy and Scooby head to the house of Zeb Perkins, to try to find clues. (Fred, Daphne and Velma stay to fix the mess Scooby made after a run-in with some jumping beans). They find a voodoo doll of Zeb in his bed and fearing the worst, they hurry back and tell the others.
They get in a boat and follow the witch and the zombie on another boat through the swamp until they reach the witch's shack. Upon entry, they find voodoo dolls for the whole gang! But when Shaggy thinks he has been "voodood" by Scooby, he had actually just backed into a fork. Then, the witch arrives and scolds them for ignoring the warning signs and makes Daphne vanish with a poof of smoke. But soon after, they realize she just fell through a trapdoor.
The rest of the gang follow footprints to a large river boat anchored at the shore. Resting on the shore is the witch and zombie's boat and they have been using a steel-tipped pole to move through the water. Why?
They enter the riverboat and split up, leading Shaggy and Scooby to find the zombie, who chases them into the old saloon before they managed to escape.
Velma and Fred find a secret room with a winch, some power tools, and a sheet covered bundle inside. Thinking it's a ghost they pull off the sheet and find a bound and gagged Daphne, whom they quickly free. The witch appears and chases the trio down a coal chute.
Scooby and Shaggy encounter the witch and the zombie, who trapped them and forced them to jump off the side of the boat until they crash through the deck of the bottom floor into the room where Velma, Fred and Daphne are.
They find a motorboat and speed away. The witch appears and flies towards the gang, but it is just a rubber balloon, which is what made the "witch" fly. As they are speeding away, the throttle gets stuck and they can't stop. Scooby anchors the boat, but the anchor lifts up a robbed armored truck that had been sunk in the swamp, and it's loaded with money! The mystery is starting to piece together.
They devise a trap to capture the witch and zombie. Shaggy and Scooby dress up in money sacks and then lure the witch and zombie to a tripwire and they promptly fall into a rolling cart and into the armored truck where Velma and Daphne close the doors. It starts to work but Scooby falls into the trap as well. They manage to hook him with a fishing rod and pull him out, just as the witch and zombie roll into the truck.
The zombie and witch are unmasked as Zeke and Zeb, who had robbed the armored truck and sunk it in the swamp years before. Now, they couldn't remember where they sunk it, so they searched the swamps with that iron-tipped pole and dressed up as the witch and zombie to scare intruders away so that they could look for it. When they would have found the truck, they would use the winch to pull it out. The witch used smoke bombs for the vanishing act.
Mystery Inc. go back on the road, and Scooby goes back to fishing in his bucket of water (with bait attached to his tail, instead of a proper fishing line). Fred tells him to give up, but low and behold, he pulls out a fish! The rest of the gang cheer and laugh at his achievement.
- Zombie (only appearance)(no lines)(Zeke's disguise)
- Witch (only appearance)(Zeb Perkins' disguise)
- Zeke (only appearance)
- Zeb Perkins (only appearance)(no lines)
- Chipmunk (only appearance)(no lines)
- Crocodile (only appearance)(no lines)
- Sheriff (only appearance)
- Metal-tipped pole
- Jelly beans
- Jumping beans
- Scooby Snack
- Scooby's bucket
- Zombie's lantern
- Zeb and Zeke's frog hunting tools
- Witch's rattle
- Tin can which fell on Scooby's head
- Zeb Perkins's mailbox
- Cobweb on the plate
- Shaggy's coin
- Voodoo doll of Zeb
- Voodoo doll of Fred
- Voodoo doll of Daphne
- Voodoo doll of Velma
- Voodoo doll of Shaggy
- Needles in the voodoo dolls
- Witch's stick
- Deck box
- Zombie's shoes
- Poker cards
- Money on the poker table
- Sheet over Daphne
- Power tools
- Cutting torch
- The witch's broom
- Purple sheet
- Witch's balloon head
- Throttle on the airboat
- Bags of money
- Shaggy's fishing rod
- Small smoke ball
- Zombie's boat
- The Mystery Machine
- Mystery Inc.'s boat
- Bank Co. armored truck
|Zeke as the Zombie
Zeb as the Witch
|They wanted to uncover the armored bank truck they sunk in the swamp years ago so they could rob it|
|Casey Kasem||Shaggy Rogers|
|Frank Welker||Fred Jones|
|Stefanianna Christopherson||Daphne Blake|
|Nicole Jaffe||Velma Dinkley|
The following credits are how they are seen on-screen (or as close as possible).
- Produced and Directed by: Joseph Barbera and William Hanna
- Associate Producer: Lew Marshall
- Story: Ken Spears, Joe Ruby, Bill Lutz
- Story Direction: Howard Swift
- Voices: Nicole Jaffe, Hal Smith, Casey Kasem, John Stephenson, Don Messick, Jean Vander Pyl, Vic Perrin, Frank Welker, Stefanianna Christopherson
- Animation Director: Charles A. Nichols
- Production Design: Iwao Takamoto
- Production Supervisor: Victor O. Schipek
- Layout: Bob Singer, Alvaro Arce, Paul Gruwell, Mike Arens, Alex Ignatiev, Ric Gonzales, Bill Lignante
- Animation: Bill Keil, George Rowley, Oliver E. Callahan, Ed Love, Rudy Cataldi, Bill Nunes, Zdenko Gasparovic, Joan Orbison, Bob Goe, Jay Sarbry, Hicks Lokey, Ken Southworth, Lloyd Vaughan
- Background Styling: Walt Peregoy
- Backgrounds: Ron Dias, Gary Niblett, Daniela Bielecka, Rolly Oliva
- Title Design: Bill Perez
- Titles: Robert Schaefer
- Musical Director: Ted Nichols
- Technical Supervisor: Frank Paiker
- Ink and Paint Supervisor: Roberta Greutert
- Xerography: Robert "Tiger" West
- Sound Direction: Richard Olson
- Film Editing: Gregory V. Watson, Jr., Ted Baker, Chip Yaras
- Camera: Dick Blundell, Bill Kotler, George Epperson, Cliff Shirpser, Charles Flekal, Roy Wade
- A Hanna-Barbera Production
- © 1969 Hanna-Barbera Productions, Inc.
- a hanna-barbera production
- A Taft Broadcasting Company
- The series is prone to use a new sheriff every time one is needed, but the one in this episode could very well be the same one in What a Night for a Knight. A note on his model sheet does indicate as much.
- Shaggy passes off the "What Are Little Boys/Girls Made Off" nursery rhyme as a witch's spell when he tries disguising himself as the Witch to get past the Zombie.
- The Zombie disguise is later used for the Mamba Zombie in the The Scooby-Doo Show episode Mamba Wamba and the Voodoo Hoodoo.
- Disguises: Scooby and Shaggy as riverboat gamblers; Shaggy (and Scooby) as a witch decoy.
- Scooby Snacks bribe: 1.
- "Zoinks" count: 4.
- Gold Key Comics adapted this episode for Scooby Doo... Where Are You! #5 in 1971. It was renamed The Swamp Witch.
- Dalmatian Press published The Swamp Witch in 2003.
- The Zombie from this episode inspired a minifigure in LEGO's Scooby-Doo! line that was included in the Mystery Machine set in 2015.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- The background seen through the Mystery Machine windows doesn't move, even when the van does.
- Scooby is missing from the Mystery Machine during the moment Fred says, "Well, I didn't know it ran through such a spooky swamp!"
- When Shaggy asks for directions from the Zombie (before the former realizes), he's the only one in the van.
- When Scooby points out that he ate from the jumping beans pot, both that pot and the jelly beans pot look like unmarked flower pots.
- Shaggy's head sticks out the top of the other side of the Mystery Machine, when they are driving again, and discussing the voodoo doll of Zeb.
- At first, the front door of Zeb's cabin is hanging open; it's closed when Shaggy gets there.
- When Velma remarks how the voodoo doll scare tactic is "a bunch of phony baloney," a small section of her hair blinks between being the color of her skin and its regular red color.
- When Scooby is holding the voodoo doll of Shaggy, his paw is the same color as Shaggy's shirt.
- When Velma explains to Shaggy that the shrunken Zeb was actually a voodoo doll that looks like him, the doll is wearing a fedora, but when Shaggy and Scooby first found it, it was wearing a blue cap.
- There are a few shots where the floor of the ship turns a different color in the middle of it, including when Shaggy and Scooby are being followed by the Zombie.
- When Scooby drops the anchor from the boat onto the armored truck, his collar is gold.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- The door on the closet Shaggy and Scooby hide in opens first one way, then the opposite way.
- Since Zeke and Zeb would be in hiding from the law, it's unknown if Zeke became the owner of the general store in that time, or simply occupied it once the all the townspeople were scared away. Although, the fact that Zeb had a mailbox with his name on it, would suggest the former.
- The gang realize that Daphne fell through a trapdoor by the slide marks behind her footprints. When they go below and test the trapdoor the slide marks are perpendicular to the side on which the door opens. Also, in the wide shot when she first disappears, there is no rug visible, and she appears to be standing on the same wooden floor as the others.
- In the chase that transpires after Velma and Fred discover Daphne and the villains' stash of tools, the balloon witch's mouth appears to move during her cackle. Both the mouth movements and the laugh are never explained, but it is possible that either Zeke or Zeb implemented a tape recorder and/or a mechanical piston into the false witch to result in either of these occurrences.
- Although the throttle is stuck, the propeller stops when the anchor snags the sunken armored car.
- Velma refers to Zeke as being the one who was the witch when it was Zeb who was actually wearing the costume.
- The audience never hears Zeb's real voice. He imitated an old woman when he was disguised as the witch.
- In one scene, when Shaggy and Scooby enter the ship's saloon, the sign above clearly reads "Ship's Salon".
- After Shaggy and Scooby run away from the Zombie for the second time on the ship the door that they hide in seems to be in the exact same place as the door they hid in when they ran from the Ship's saloon the first time. The first time it seems to be a fairly modern door with two obvious panels but the second time it seems to be a rather old, rustic door that could be rotting away. Is it just a coincidence that the two scenes use the same part of the ship?
- Although the money sack Scooby was in got caught on a piece of wood in the ground which resulted him in falling into the trap with the villains, he never thought of just getting out of the money sack.
In other languages
|Greek||Ποια Μάγισσα είναι Ποια;||Which Witch is Which?|
|Hungarian||Boszorka a horgon||Witch on the Hook|
|Polish||Polowanie na czarownice||Witch-Hunt|
|Spanish (Latin America)||Como pescar un Bruja||How to Fish a Witch|
- Classic Scooby-Doo: Which Witch is Which? VHS released by Turner Home Entertainment on August 6, 1996.
- Scooby-Doo's Spookiest Tales VHS released by Warner Home Video on August 21, 2001.
- Scooby-Doo's Spookiest Tales DVD released by Warner Home Video on August 21, 2001.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete 1st and 2nd Seasons DVD set released by Warner Home Video on March 16, 2004.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete 1st and 2nd Seasons DVD set released by Warner Home Video on June 20, 2005.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: Volume 4 - Spooked Bayou DVD released by Warner Home Video on October 19, 2010.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series (limited edition) DVD set released by Warner Home Video on November 10, 2010.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series DVD set released by Warner Home Video on November 21, 2011.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series DVD set released by Warner Home Video on November 13, 2012.
- Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales: Run for Your 'Rife! DVD released by Warner Home Video on September 10, 2013. It's listed without the question mark in the title.
- Scooby-Doo! Favorite Frights DVD released as a Walmart exclusive on September 15, 2015.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series Blu-ray released by Warner Home Video on September 9, 2019.
- Scooby Doo Case File at Toonzone.net
- Buy from Amazon Video (US)
- Buy from iTunes (US)
- Buy from iTunes (CA)
- Buy from iTunes (UK)
- Buy from Vudu
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|Scooby Doo and a Mummy, Too||Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!
|Go Away Ghost Ship|