- This article is about the episode. For the character, see Hodag of Horror.
|This needs a stretch. (Feel free to remove when satisfied of completion.)|
A wild creature called the the Hodag of Horror steals precious jewellery from the people of Crystal Cove. At the same time, Fred's real parents have suddenly appeared, along with a dog whom Scooby has taken a fancy to.
Insert details here.
- Gene Shepherd (single appearance)
- Daisy Blake (first full appearance)
- Brad Chiles
- Judy Reeves
- Sheriff Bronson Stone
- Hodag of Horror (single appearance)(no lines)(Roberto's disguise)
- Roberto (single appearance)(no lines)(main story and flashback)
- Ned Fussbuster (single appearance)(main story and flashback)
- Mr. E
- Professor Pericles
- Mr. Baywosenthal (no lines)
- Tween girl's mom (no lines)
- Elderly checkers player
- Nova (first appearance)(no lines)
- Crystal Cove Community Center auctioneer (no lines)
- George Avocados (cameo)
- Randy's mom
- Violin player (single appearance)(no lines)
- Winslow Fleach (no lines)(cameo)
- Marcie Fleach (no lines)(cameo)
- Barty Blake (no lines)
- Nan Blake (no lines)
- Trini Lee
- Disembodied creepy voice (only time heard)
- Mayor Janet Nettles (mentioned)
- Black cat (single appearance)(no lines)(flashback only)
- Cow (single appearance)(no lines)(flashback only)
- Hunchbacked man (single appearance)(no lines)(flashback only)
- Santa Claus (single appearance)(no lines)(flashback only)(cameo)
- Master Spanish cheesemaker (single appearance)(no lines)(flashback only)
- Master Spanish cheesemaker's assistant (single appearance)(no lines)(flashback only)
- Cassidy Williams
- Crystal Cove (main story and flashback)
- Indonesia (flashback only)
- Netherlands (fantasy)
- Gene Shepherd's cane
- Stuffed Hodag
- Daphne's cellphone
- Velma's backpack
- Ned Fussbuster's bell
- Flash-bulb camera
- Velma's laptop
- Judy Reeves's locket
- Puzzle box
- 500-year-old cheese
- Piece of the Planispheric Disk
- Fire truck
- The Mystery Machine
- Sheriff Stone's police car
|Gene Shepherd||The Hodag was one of his curiosities. The stolen jewelry was found in his cabinet.|
| Roberto as the Hodag of Horror|
|To steal the 500 year old cheese.|
- Shaggy's hair finally returns to its regular length and style in this episode, after having been cut between All Fear the Freak and The Night the Clown Cried, for his attendance at Barnstow Military Academy.
- Jennifer Hale, who voices Daisy, also voiced Delilah in The Legend of Alice May.
- Fred, Daphne, and Velma are given the codenames: "Scarf Boy", "Smoking Hottie", and "Smart Chick", respectively.
- The Hodag is a monster of Wisconsin legend, first discovered by Eugene Simeon Shepard over a hundred years ago; Gene Shepherd is a parody of Eugene Simeon Shepard.
- A girl among the crowd, who Gene Shepherd talks to when he first arrives in town, resembles the teenage Sari Sumdac from the TV series Transformers Animated, which lead character designer Derrick J. Wyatt, also worked on.
- The strange puzzle box and disembodied voice that accompany it in Sheriff Stone's office are a tribute to the Lemant configuration and Pinhead from the Hellraiser series.
- Nova is named after the mute human in the original Planet of the Apes film in 1968 (and its sequel Beneath the Planet of the Apes).
- The spaghetti scene in the Disney film Lady and the Tramp is parodied with cheese string between Scooby and Nova.
- Jason Voorhees' hockey mask can be seen in the Cabinet of Curiosities.
- The name of the cheese shop "Something Cheesy This Way Comes" is a play on the Shakespeare quote "Something Wicked This Way Comes" which also serves as the title of Ray Bradbury's novella about a nightmarish carnival visiting a small town.
- The Cabinet of Curiosities references the 1920 silent German expressionist cult horror film The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- When Velma asks Mr. Shepherd why he came to Crystal Cove, the tint in her glasses are skin-colored instead of light blue.
- After Sheriff Stone gazes through the window at Daphne's party and the bell rings, the Hodag appears out of thin air in the background behind him, while he is looking around.
In other languages
|Italian||Il Mostro Delle Campane||The Monster of the Bells|
|Spanish (Latin America)||El Hodag del Terror||The Hodag of Terror|
|Greek||Ο Χόνταγκ του Τρόμου||The Hodag of Horror|
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: Season Two, Part 1 - Danger in the Deep DVD set released by Warner Home Video on November 13, 2012.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The Complete Season 2 DVD set released by Warner Home Video on October 7, 2014.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystères associés: L'intégrale de la saison 2 (Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The entirety of season 2) DVD set released by Warner Home Video on September 10, 2013.
Gene Shepherd: I only open that box once a year.
Ned Fussbuster: And I would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those bells.
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|Web of the Dreamweaver!|| Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated|
|Art of Darkness!|