|This needs a stretch. (Feel free to remove when satisfied of completion.)|
In Macau, a young woman wearing a panda ring visits a Pawn Shop and asks to see the jewelry. She admires a dragon ring, but is told it's not for sale. The assistant is distracted by a phone call and the woman leaves. A man enters and says he has come for his ring, but finds that the box now contains the panda ring. The man conjures white lightning from his fist. Outside, the woman looks at the dragon ring on her finger.
At Chen's Internet Cafe and Tea House, Velma introduces Mai Le (the woman from the pawn shop), who's on a two-week student exchange from China, to Shaggy, Scooby and Daphne. Mai Le appears to be attracted to Shaggy. Chen offers them a plate of Szechuan pork ice cream sandwiches and notices her ring. Daphne mentions that there is a delegate from China in Crystal Cove, and that Fred and his dad is showing him around town. Velma says Daphne's parents are hosting a dinner for him tonight and invites Mai Le.
Mayor Jones is showing Mr. Wang around the town with Fred, when Velma and Mai Le arrive. Mr. Wang remarks on Mai Le's ring and asks where she got it.
At the dinner, Shaggy asks to change seats with Scooby so that he can sit next to Mai Le. Barty Blake addresses the assembly, when the lights go out and a wizard appears amongst red lightning. The Red Wizard warns them not to disturb the Dragon's Heart. Fred activates a trap he installed last year, but the wizard escapes and the Blakes are angry at Fred for the trap he set up in their home without permission. While looking for clues, Scooby sniffs out some Scarlet oolong tea, which is very rare and flammable.
Outside Chen's Coffee, Fred watches through the periscope he installed in the Mystery Machine at the same time as the ejector seat which Daphne accidentally activates. As Shaggy and Mai Le are sharing a tub of ice cream, Scooby feels left out with Velma sympathizing with him. Suddenly white lightning strikes the van and a White Wizard laughs as he floats above them. They run, but the Red Wizard floats round the corner and engages the White in aerial combat. Through her binoculars, Velma sees the White Wizard has three rings exactly like Mai Le's. When the Red Wizard is knocked down, the gang run back to the van, but the White Wizard grabs Mai Le, flies off with her and demands her ring. The gang give chase and use Shaggy's snack sack, fired from the ejector seat, as a surface-to-air missile. They drive off pursued by the White Wizard, but the Red attacks him and the gang escape.
Velma and Mai Le return to the Dinkley house, where the White Wizard attacks, but Mai Le attacks him physically. Shaggy arrives reading from an English to Chinese Dictionary and runs into the girls, allowing the Wizard to steal Mai Le's ring.
At Chen's Coffee, Velma can't find anything about the Dragon's Heart on the internet. Chen admits that he is the Red Wizard. He also tells them the story how he became the guardian on the priceless ruby, encased inside a Jade Dragon, which the four rings will give access to the Dragon in the restaurant, after having these answers the gang sets a trap in the restaurant.
That night the White Wizard arrives at Chen's, to be soaked by the sprinkler system and trapped under a giant paper lantern with a cage inside. Mayor Jones arrives in time to see the White Wizard revealed as Mr Wang, as Mai Le takes his rings. As it turns out his trip to Crystal Cove was not a business trip but an excuse to find the Dragon’s heart, and knew he was close to finding it when he saw Mai Le’s ring. He used several gadgets for the effects they saw, even a jet pack which Chen used himself.
Mai Le returns the rings to Chen, before she leaves for her flight to China. Shaggy wants to see her off, and when Mai Le says no Shaggy is broken hearted. So Fred drives them to the airport.
At the docks, a boat departs with the Dragon's Heart ruby on board. As it turns out while they were explaining Wang’s plan, she used the rings to unlock the dragon and retrieve the ruby. It swerves, and the ruby flies from Mai Le's hand to Shaggy, who followed her after she wasn't at the airport. Shaggy runs from Mai Le's attack and leads her into a trap which Fred had planted on the Blakes' boat, disguised as Mai Le's escape boat.
- Mystery Incorporated (main story and flashback)
- Fred Jones, Sr. (main story and flashback)
- Barty Blake
- Nan Blake
- Red Wizard (only appearance)(main story and flashback)(Chen's disguise)
- Chen (final appearance)(main story and flashback)
- White Wizard (only appearance)(main story and flashback)(Mr. Wang's disguise)
- Mr. Wang (only appearance)(main story and flashback)
- Mai Le (only appearance)(main story and flashback)
- Ray's pet (only appearance)
- Ray (only appearance)
- Chu Chow (only time mentioned)
- Hot Dog Water (cameo)
- Daisy Blake (no lines)(cameo)
- Dawn Blake (no lines)(cameo)
- Delilah Blake (no lines)(cameo)
- Dorothy Blake (no lines)(cameo)
- Angie Dinkley (photograph)
- Venus (photograph)
- Macau, China
- Crystal Cove
- Dragon rings
- English to Chinese Dictionary
- Mystery Machine eject seat
- Snack sack
- Ice cream
- Dragon's Heart
- Jade Dragon
- Scooby Snack
|Mr. Wang||He reacted suspicious when he saw Mei Le's ring.|
|Chen||He also reacted suspicious when he saw Mei Le's ring.|
|Chen as Red Wizard||To protect the Dragon's Heart.|
|Mai Le||To steal the Dragon's Heart (in opposition to Chen).|
|Mr. Wang as White Wizard||To steal the Dragon's Heart.|
- Shaggy and Velma broke up in Howl of the Fright Hound.
- Fred and Daphne started dating in When the Cicada Calls.
- Daphne's parents haven't approved of Fred since the first episode, Beware the Beast from Below.
- In this episode Velma apparently ends her grudge against Shaggy for choosing Scooby as she sympathized with Shaggy after Mai Le's betrayal. She even tells Mai Le that she doesn't deserve Shaggy for using him.
- Linda Cardellini is reunited with Matthew Lillard, who both played Velma and Shaggy in the live action movies.
- References are made to the film Gremlins, during the teaser; the pawn shop where Mai Le steals the ring, has a creature that bears a strong resemblance to the pre-mutated Mogwai, specifically Gizmo the original and only benevolent Mogwai. The pawn shop itself also bears a strong resemblance to the antique store where Gizmo was bought.
- The wizards resemble Lo Pan from the film Big Trouble in Little China, who was also played by James Hong.
- Fred makes a reference to Pokémon, when he throws Scooby a Scooby Snack, and yells, "Scooby Snack, go!"
- James Hong and George Takei previously co stared in Mulan.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- At first it looks like Velma was not invited to the Blake's dinner party, but then she suddenly appears in the aftermath of the Red Wizard's attack. There are enough place settings for her to be there, so it could be assumed she ducked under the table at the first sign of danger. The initial seating can be reconstructed as follows:
- Head of table - Barty Blake
- Host's left - Nan Blake, Fred Jr., Daphne, Shaggy, Scooby, Mai Le
- Host's right - Fred Sr., Delilah, Velma, Dawn, Dorothy, Daisy
- Foot of table - Mr. Wang
- Throughout the episode, Mai Le's eyebrow color changes repeatedly, including brown, blonde, and a darker brown.
- In Chen's, when Mai Le says she'll be at the dinner, the dragon ring is clearly not on her right hand.
In other languages
|Italy||Il Segreto Del Dragone||The Dragon's Secret|
|Hungarian||A sárkány titka||The Dragon's Secret|
|Greek||Το Μυστικό του Δράκου||The Secret of the Dragon|
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: Season One, Part 2 - Crystal Cove Curse DVD set released by Warner Home Video on January 24, 2012.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The Complete Season 1 DVD set released by Warner Home Video on October 8, 2013.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystères associés: L'intégrale de la saison 1 (Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The entirety of season 1) DVD set released by Warner Home Video on October 3, 2012.
Daphne: Tonight's the first time my parent's will see Fred and me as a couple. I just want everything to be perfect. I'm afraid they think Fred is a weirdo.
Velma: Shaggy, you have to stop flirting with Mai Li.
Velma: You booby-trapped Daphne's House?
Velma: (To a trapped Mai Li, about Shaggy) He's too good for you. Dog issues or no dog issues.
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|Escape from Mystery Manor||Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated