- 1 Premise
- 2 Synopsis
- 3 Characters
- 4 Locations
- 5 Objects
- 6 Vehicles
- 7 Suspects
- 8 Cast
- 9 Full credits
- 10 Notes/trivia
- 11 In other languages
- 12 Home media
- 13 Quotes
- 14 External links
One night in a forest, the Mystery, Inc. gang are camping. Daphne asks a hungry Shaggy and Scooby to get more firewood, with the latter ending up pulling the antlers of a moose. Apparently, they had never seen a moose before as they mistake it for a wild horse. Just then, the duo hear strange laughing and spot the Joker and Penguin taking a man they call "Professor" into the forest. Fearing they may be spotted, Shaggy and Scooby start to back away, only for the former to accidentally sit on a porcupine, prompting him to yell in pain. Even though Scooby manages to muffle Shaggy's scream, the Joker and Penguin hear it and see smoke from the campsite. Joker tells Penguin to escort the Professor to their hideout while he takes care of the campers. While rushing back to the campsite to warn the others about the villains, Shaggy and Scooby end up getting caught by accident by Batman and Robin.
Batman and Robin explain to Mystery Inc that the man Shaggy and Scooby saw was Professor Flakey, who had disappeared from his home back in Gotham and was last seen entering the woods with Joker and Penguin. The Crusaders decide to let the Mystery, Inc. team help, telling them they can signal the Bat-Copter by flashing the Mystery Machine's headlights, but advise them to be careful as Joker and Penguin are dangerous. After the Dynamic Duo leave in their Bat-Copter, Fred, Velma, and Daphne wonder what to do to help. Shaggy then remembers that on their way into the forest earlier, he saw a cave on the other side of the river. Thinking the villains might be hiding there, the teens head down the river road to it. On the way there, they find a large log blocking the road, which Velma surmises is courtesy of Joker and Penguin.
Noticing the log was hollow, Fred said they could easily move it. Unfortunately, at that moment, a dryad appears and tries to scare them, resulting in Scooby ending up hiding in the log. Unbeknownst to this, the others roll the log away to scare the dryad off, causing Scooby to end on in the river. When Shaggy notices Scooby's missing, he goes to look for him while Fred, Daphne and Velma chase after the dryad. When Shaggy finds Scooby in the river he tells him to sit tight and he'll get him out. At the same time, the dryad gives the Mystery Machine the slip, so Fred, Daphne and Velma decide to go back for Shaggy. Meanwhile, Shaggy is trying to reach out and grab Scooby's paw to pull him out of the river when the dryad appears behind him, leading to Scooby swimming away, with Shaggy joining him upon noticing the monster behind him.
When Fred, Daphne, and Velma find Shaggy gone, they signal the Bat-Copter and inform Batman of what's happening. Batman tells them to check out the cave while he looks for Shaggy and Scooby. Unfortunately, when the Mystery Machine reaches the bridge spanning the river, a fiendish troll working a handle under the bridge turns it around, causing the van to go back to the teens' campsite. When Batman and Robin inform the kids that the road doesn't circle around, they tell them to make the trip again while they watch for anything suspicious from the air.
Back at the bridge, the dryad and troll are revealed to be Joker and Penguin in disguise, who discuss their plans to interrogate Flakey about his new invention. At that moment, they hear Shaggy and Scooby on their side of the river. Deciding to have a little fun with the unsuspecting pair, Penguin uses his troll disguise to scare them into the bridge while Joker spins it around, making the duo think they are surrounded by the troll. At that moment, Batman and Robin see Shaggy and Scooby's peril and come flying in. Seeing the Bat-Copter coming, Joker and Penguin make a run for it, with Joker calling the Dynamic Duo 'spoilsports' for ruining their fun. Unfortunately, Joker left the bridge crooked, causing Shaggy and Scooby to fall into the river, but unharmed. The Bat-Copter then chases after the disguised villains while Shaggy and Scooby see the Mystery Machine coming, but realize the bridge is out of place. Fortunately, Scooby saves the Mystery Machine just in time by using the wheel to straighten out the bridge, allowing it to cross safely before picking up Shaggy and Scooby.
At the same time, Batman and Robin are chasing Joker and Penguin into an open field, with place for the villains to hide. Batman then realizes the Mystery Machine was in danger because the bridge was out of place, but Robin assures him the teens are safe as he sees the van down on the river road. Unfortunately, in the split second they weren't looking, Joker and Penguin vanished, prompting the heroes to land and investigate. Meanwhile, the teens reach the entrance of the cave Shaggy saw. Upon entering, they find nothing and start to leave when Shaggy trips on a rock switch and stumbles into a secret panel in the wall. After Scooby shows the others what happened to Shaggy, they all go through the entrance and find themselves in a larger cavern.
Meanwhile, Joker and Penguin, having removed their monster disguises, interrogate Flakey and learn his new invention is a flying suit. Seeing its potential in enabling them to evade capture by Batman and Robin, the villains decide to claim it. When Flakey sees through Penguin's claims that they wish to 'purchase' the suit, Joker threatens him to tell them were it is. Flakey then reluctantly mentions its at the Gotham Hillside Aircraft Company. Before the villains can leave for the sight, however, their security alarm goes off and they realize Mystery Inc is in the caves, and decide to have a little fun with the teens before going after the suit. After seeing how Penguin opened an entrance in the wall, Flakey starts tapping it in order to find the same spot.
Back on the surface, Batman and Robin are utterly baffled that the 'dryad' and 'troll' vanished into thin air, but thanks to a chipmunk noticing something in the ground, they discover a manhole cover leading into the cavern. Sliding in, they began searching the tunnels for the villains and the teens. At the same time, Mystery Inc find themselves in a cavern with a lake, a boat on the shore. Shaggy and Scooby elect to stay behind while the others continue investigating. Fred, Daphne, and Velma then enter another cavern, where they are unknowingly seen by Joker and Penguin. The villains unleash a giant mechanical bat on the three teens before going after Shaggy and Scooby. Recognizing the pair as the two from the bridge, the villains decide to have some fun, first by sealing the entrance to the cavern, then by Joker disguising as a ghost to scare them into the boat and going out onto the lake, where the pair meets the villains' phantom fountain. The fountain then chases the pair back to shore before going back under, to their relief, but Shaggy freaks when he feels a hand on his shoulder. Fortunately, it turns out to be Professor Flakey, having opened the entrance to the cavern holding him. At the same time, Batman and Robin stumble upon Fred, Daphne, and Velma's peril and use their Batarangs to destroy the mechanical bat, saving the teens.
Seeing the Dynamic Duo had arrived, Joker and Penguin realize that fun time is over and use a secret elevator to escape back to the surface. After the heroes reunite and Flakey explains Joker and Penguin's plan, he reveals he had lied to them and that his flying suit was actually at the Gotham Rubber Factory. Batman and Robin then decide to fly to Hillside Airport to greet the unsuspecting villains. Unfortunately, upon reaching the surface, they discover that Joker and Penguin had stolen their Bat-Copter, but realize there was still a chance to intercept them in their Batmobile. The heroes then split into two teams, with Batman and Robin going to the Hillside Aircraft Company while Mystery Inc and Professor Flakey head towards the rubber factory, knowing that Joker and Penguin would show up there upon discovering the suit wasn't at the aircraft company.
At the factory, the teens discover giant balloons of Batman, Robin, Yogi Bear, Fred Flintstone, and Santa Claus, made for the Gotham City Thanksgiving Day Parade. While Fred, Daphne, and Velma go up to Flakey's lab, Shaggy and Scooby elect to stay in the courtyard and signal them if Joker and Penguin show up. While in the lab, Flakey explains the suit is controlled by buttons allowing it to jet in any direction. Back in the courtyard, Shaggy and Scooby hear the Bat-Copter coming and alert the others (with Scooby accidentally throwing small rubber tires on their heads in the process). When Joker and Penguin decide to sneak into the lab through a rear entrance in the factory, Fred, Daphne, and Velma go down to keep them busy until Batman and Robin arrive.
In the factory, Joker and Penguin begin plotting to sneak up the staircase, so Fred and the girls react fast, with Fred using a tire and broomstick to knock the villains off their feet, only to end up stuck to a vat of fresh rubber. Fortunately, Daphne and Velma come to his aid by using an inner tube to launch beach balls at Joker and Penguin to divert their attention. At the same time, Batman and Robin arrive in the Batmobile, and after Shaggy tells them Joker and Penguin slipped into the factory, decide to use the Bat-Copter to reach the roof and enter the lab's skylight to await the villains. Unfortunately, when Flakey sees their silhouettes through the skylight, he thinks its Joker and Penguin, panics, and throws his flying suit out the window, where it lands on Scooby.
Curious about the suit, Scooby slips into it before he and Scooby mess with the controls, causing him to go flying into the air. Upon noticing that the flying suit is airborne, Joker and Penguin chase after him. Batman and Robin see Scooby flying off into space and get back into their Bat-Copter to save him. Upon being encouraged by Flakey to press the 'landing' button, Scooby starts fiddling with the suit's controls, resulting in him flying all over area as Batman and Robin try to toss him a lifeline. Seeing this, Penguin decides to use his umbrella as a spear and puncture the suit to bring Scooby down. Unfortunately, Scooby dodges it and the umbrella pierces the Batman balloon, causing it to go flying, taking Shaggy (who had climbed onto it to reach Scooby with it). The Dynamic Duo manage to save Shaggy and Scooby just before the balloon deflates. Seeing the Crusaders having gotten the suit, Joker and Penguin try to make an escape, only for the balloon to come down on top of them, trapping them.
Fred congratulates Batman on apprehending the villains, while Batman comments it was the balloon that did the work (though Velma quips the balloon is Batman). Joker and Penguin have a falling out while blaming each other for their plan's failure, during which Penguin accidentally activates the flying suit again, sending Scooby back into the air, much to the teens' dismay, but Batman assures them that Scooby has the hang of it now. Sure enough, Scooby shows off his handling of the suit's controls while shouting "Scooby-Dooby-Doo!".
- Dryad (single appearance)(Joker's disguise)
- Troll (single appearance)(Penguin's disguise)
- Joker (final appearance)
- Penguin (final appearance)
- Giant Bat
- Fearsome Phantom Fountain
- Moose (single appearance)(no lines)
- Porcupine (single appearance)(no lines)
- Utility belt
- Yogi Bear balloon float
- Fred Flintstone balloon float
- Batman balloon float
- Santa Claus balloon float
|Joker as the Dryad
Penguin as the Troll
|To scare the gang away and get the flying suit.|
|Casey Kasem||Shaggy Rogers|
|Frank Welker||Fred Jones|
|Heather North||Daphne Blake|
|Nicole Jaffe||Velma Dinkley|
The following credits are how they are seen on-screen (or as close as possible).
- Produced and Directed: William Hanna and Joseph Barbera
- Associate Producer: Alex Lovy
- Story: Jameson Brewer, Tom Dagenais, Ruth Flippen, Fred Freiberger, Willie Gilbert, Bill Lutz, Larry Markes, Norman Maurer, Jack Mendelsohn, Ray Parker, Gene Thompson, Paul West, Harry Winkler
- Story Direction: Steve Clark, Mike Kawaguchi, Paul Sommer, Carl Fallberg, George Singer, Irv Spector, Howard Swift
- Voices: Nicole Jaffe, Don Messick, Frank Welker, Daws Butler, Joan Gerber, Larry Harmon, Ann Jillian, Jim MacGeorge, Mike Road, Vincent VanPatten, Casey Kasem, Heather North, John Stephenson, Henry Cordon, Florence Halop, Pat Harrington, Ted Knight, Cindy Putman, Olan Soulé, Len Weinrib
- Animation Director: Charles A. Nichols
- Production Design: Iwao Takamoto
- Production Supervisor: Victor O. Schipek
- Layout: Bob Singer, John Ahern, Mike Arens, Ric Gonzalez, Alex Ignatiev, Ray Jacobs, Bill Lignate, Alvaro Arce, Mo Gollub, Paul Gruwett, Zygamond Jablecki, Herb Johnson, Lew Ott
- Animation: Bill Keil, Ed Aardal, Lefty Callahan, George Cannata, Izzy Ellis, John Garling, Fred Grable, Joan Orbison, Jay Sarbry, Irv Spence, Carlo Vinci, Ed Barge, Lars Calonius, Rudy Cataldi, Hugh Fraser, Bob Goe, Dick Lundy, Ed Parks, Ken Southworth, Dave Tendlar, Xenia
- Backgrounds: F. Montelaegre, Gary Niblett, Dave High
- Titles: Iraj Paran
- Musical Director: Hoyt Curtin
- Musical Supervision: Paul DeKorte
- Technical Supervisor: Frank Paiker
- Ink and Paint Supervisor: Jayne Barbera
- Xerography: Robert ‘Tiger’ West
- Sound Direction: Richard Olson, Bill Getty
- Supervising Film Editor: Larry Cowan
- Film Editors: Earl Bennet, Ron Sawade, Pat Foley
- Negative Consultant: William E. DeBoer
- Post Production: Joed Eaton
- Camera: George Epperson, John Aardal, Dennis Weaver, Ralph Migliori
- A Hanna-Barbera Production
- RCA Sound Recording
- © 1972 Hanna-Barbera Productions, Inc.
- a hanna-barbera production
- The is the last official animated appearances of Batman, Robin, Joker, and Penguin. They do, however, appear in a segment of the Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode Bat-Mite Presents: Batman's Strangest Cases!, as an homage to the team-ups that occurred, and a revival of sorts of The New Scooby-Doo Movies has happened in DC Comics' Scooby-Doo! Team-Up, which also expands the DC universe, beyond just what happens in Gotham City. All of this seems to have been disregarded, though, as the DTV Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold aligns with the continuity of Batman: The Brave and the Bold TV series.
- Fred says "Jeepers" which is widely known as Daphne's catchphrase.
- In reality, a Dryad is a female tree spirit from Greek mythology.
- Throughout the episode, music from fellow Hanna-Barbera shows The Impossibles and Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines can be heard.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- Penguin said, "Probably those tiresome teenagers", but the words came from Joker's mouth.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- Penguin throws his umbrella at Scooby to puncture the flying suit, it punctures the Batman balloon, which Shaggy is on sending him off into the air. Soon after, Joker and Penguin are shown again and Penguin is still holding his umbrella.
- 8 Minutes and 55 seconds into the episode: Fred, Velma, and Daphne are turned around on the bridge while Shaggy and Scooby are supposed to be lost, Shaggy can be momentarily seen in the Machine Machine.
In other languages
|Greek||Η Χαρούμενη Παρέα των Ηρώων||The Happy Team of Heroes|
|Hungarian||Szárnyas szuperhősszalsza||Winged superheroes' salsa|
- Hanna-Barbera Presents Scooby Doo with Special Guest Stars Batman and Robin VHS released by Worldvision Home Video in 1988.
- Scooby-Doo Meets Batman VHS released by Warner Home Video in 2002.
- Scooby-Doo Meets Batman DVD released by Warner Home Video in 2002.
- The Best of The New Scooby-Doo Movies DVD set released by Warner Home Video on March 22, 2005.
- Scooby-Doo Meets Batman/Scooby-Doo! Meets the Harlem Globetrotters DVD set released by Warner Home Video on August 11, 2009.
- Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold DVD released by Warner Home Video on January 9, 2018.
- The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection DVD set released by Warner Home Video on June 4, 2019.
- The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection Blu-ray set released by Warner Home Video on June 4, 2019.
Penguin: The flying suit! That's what we were going to steal!
Professor Flakey: Scooby, button the landing press! (Shakes head) No, land the pressing button! (Shakes head again and sighs) No, press the landing button!
- Buy from iTunes (US)
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|The Phantom of the Country Music Hall||The New Scooby-Doo Movies
|The Lochness Mess|