A German family on their holiday are attacked by a large creature called the Motoshondu, which completely destroys their boat.
The mystery gang are on their vacation; Shaggy and Scooby, of course, are eating their snacks, Fred playing volleyball with himself, Velma digging in the sand, and Daphne surfing in her bikini. Daphne is met by an islander who is also surfing, who wants her to leave the waters to the locals. Daphne challenges the islander to a surfing race, defeating him just as Motoshondu attacks. Daphne manages to escape, but not without getting a bite mark on her surfboard in the process.
Coming to the shore, Velma examines the bite on the surf-board and exclaims that it's bigger than a shark's bite. Although, she denies the fact that there would be a monster in the waters. The German family disagree and say that there is actually a monster lurking in the ocean.
They are taken on a helicopter trip by Sharky, a local, where they investigate the ocean. The are then taken by "Crunchy" on his boat, to get a closer look at an odd formation of rocks where boats have been breached over the years. They are abruptly confronted by Motoshondu and crash into the formation of jagged rocks and their boat sinks. They are saved by Sharky in his helicopter.
The gang decide to invetigate the island and visit Aqua Land. There, they meet marine biologist Maura Ravenmane, who explains to them about the wildlife in the waters and how she protects the animals and especially turtles. She claims that being on water would make her seasick. Meanwhile, Shaggy and Scooby become friendly with an Orca as they have some lunch.
When trying to find "Crunchy", they discover his shack empty, but Velma discovers a life-jacket with the name Charles Granville and Fred finds a large television screen in the back projecting images of fish and sea-life swimming around. They find a dingy is missing and come to the conclusion that he probably went out to confront the monster by himself and would probably be in a lot of danger.
So, the gang set out with some high-tech equipment acquired from Maura and try to find "Crunchy". Velma is keen to point out that she didn't come. Motoshondu appears once again and breaks their boat. The gang are forced to investigate underwater with their gear and equipment, which Shaggy and Scooby are reluctant to do.
Underwater, the gang discover a graveyard of wrecked ships, probably brought down by the jagged rocks. Fred hatches a plan using the boat corpses. Because of the monster's size, they are unable to capture it and are forced to head back to the surface. On a large wave, Motoshondu is forcefully beached. When unmasked, the beast turns out to be "Crunchy", or Charles Granville as Velma points out, who'd been controlling a large submarine-like vehicle to help keep the sea-life safe from civilians.
Going back to their timeshare villa, just as the gang are ready to start enjoying their vacation, a family of four arrive, ready to move in as it's now their timeshare. The gang are forced to exit.
- Fritz (single appearance)
- Helga (single appearance)
- Stephanie (single appearance)(no lines)
- Yvette (single appearance)(no lines)
- Nedley Blake (mentioned)
- Sea turtles (single appearance)(no lines)
- Stink Eye (single appearance)
- Motoshondu (island spirit) (single appearance)(statue)
- Becky (single appearance)(no lines)
- Mr. Keenan (single appearance)
- Mrs. Keenan (single appearance)(no lines)
- Mr. and Mrs. Keenan's son (single appearance)(no lines)
- Mr. and Mrs. Keenan's daughter (single appearance)(no lines)
- Big Blue Mama (destroyed)
|Sharky Tazo||He collected salvage from the wreck of Crunchy Granville's boat.|
|Maura Ravenmane||She wants to protect the animals and especially the turtles.|
|Crunchy Granville||Velma discovers a life jacket with the name Charles Granville in Sharky's shack.|
|Stink Eye||He thought only the islanders should have the right to surf on the island.|
|Crunchy Granville as Motoshondu||To protect the sea turtles' mating grounds.|
|Casey Kasem||Shaggy Rogers|
|Mindy Cohn||Velma Dinkley|
|Grey DeLisle||Daphne Blake|
|Jeff Glen Bennett||Crunchy Granville|
|Mimi Rogers||Maura Ravenmane|
|Kevin Michael Richardson||Sharky Tazo|
|"Rockaway Beach "||Written by Douglas Colvin, John Cummings, Thomas Erdelyi, and Jeff Hyman||The Ramones|
- Velma loses her glasses: Her goggles are knocked off by a sea turtle while she is scuba diving.
- At no time during this episode did the gang wear their normal outfits. For instance, Daphne was barefoot and wearing her bikini from Scooby-Doo! and the Legend of the Vampire and sarong for most of the episode, except when she and the gang wore scuba gear and wetsuits.
- The Mystery Machine is not in this episode.
- Daphne's surfboard has the same deco as the Mystery Machine.
- The gang discovered an underwater graveyard of ships, which resembles the scene in the Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! episode, A Clue for Scooby Doo.
- The Motoshondu's mechanical innards resemble the inside of the Monster in the later released direct-to-video film, Scooby-Doo! and the Loch Ness Monster.
- Midway through the episode, the audience is given a clue as to the answer to the mystery: when The Big Blue Mama goes airborne, its arched, solid bottom is visible, proving the images the Gang has been seeing on the “glass bottom” were faked.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- When the monster snaps Fred's lasso and he and Velma fall into the sea, Daphne comes to them on her jet ski and she is shown to be in full scuba gear. But when the shot changes and the camera switches to above, all of her scuba gear is gone; including her flippers.
- Another mistake occurs when the lasso is broken. As Fred and Velma fall, the rope, rather than falling as well, hangs in mid-air for a second and then disappears.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- Velma is given her goggles back by the monster, after a sea turtle knocked them off. How can she put her goggles back on underwater? There would just be water in them and would be the same as opening her eyes underwater.
- Velma is able to locate things near her without her glasses before diving, despite not being able to tell the difference between Scooby and Motoshondu underwater after her goggles were knocked off by the sea turtle.
In other languages
|Greek||Το Θαλλάσιο Τέρας
Το Τέρας της Θάλασσας Επιτίθεται
Το Θαλάσσιο Τέρας στην Ακτή
|The Sea Monster|
The Monster of the Sea Attacks
The Sea Monster on the Shore
|Polish||Amatorzy morza i zmory z morza||Sea lovers and monsters from the sea|
- What's New, Scooby-Doo?: Volume 3 - Halloween Boos & Clues VHS released by Warner Home Video on August 10, 2004.
- What's New, Scooby-Doo?: Volume 3 - Halloween Boos & Clues DVD released by Warner Home Video on August 10, 2004.
- What's New, Scooby-Doo?: Complete 1st Season DVD set released by Warner Home Video on February 20, 2007.
- Scooby-Doo! and the Sea Monsters DVD released by Warner Home Video on March 6, 2012.
- Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales: Surf's Up, Scooby-Doo! DVD set released by Warner Home Video on May 5, 2015.
Velma: Jinkies, my goggles. Scooby, can you help me find my prescription goggles?
Shaggy: OK, OK, I got about as far as "The monster is a mini-sub" before you, like, totally lost me!
Crunchy: And if it weren't for you meddling mainlanders, I'd have gotten away with it, too.
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|Safari, So Goodi!||What's New, Scooby-Doo?
|A Scooby-Doo! Christmas|