- This article is about the original incarnation of Shaggy Rogers. For other incarnations, see Shaggy Rogers (disambiguation).
|“||Did he just call me a hippy?||”|
—Shaggy, Big Top Scooby-Doo!
Shaggy is a lanky, Caucasian teenaged male; he is fairly light for his age—even Velma Dinkley can pick him up with her own hands. He seems to have a very long neck. He usually wears a green V-neck shirt, brown bell-bottom pants, and black platforms, but he is sometimes seen in a red v-neck shirt and blue-colored pants. He also has whiskers on his chin. During his time as a werewolf, his irises are bluish green.
Both Shaggy and Scooby-Doo have nearly insatiable appetites, as well as tendencies towards goofing off and cowardice. But Scooby Snacks usually satisfy them. Due to these similarities, Shaggy typically treats Scooby as a normal person rather than his pet. Shaggy uses his catch phrase "Zoinks!" whenever he's surprised or scared, which is frequently. Most of the time whenever he's scared, he'd rather save himself and wouldn't help others, but is sometimes encouraged by Shaggy Snacks. Although Shaggy enjoys a variety of food, he has been a vegetarian for much of his life. He would sometimes like to brag about being brave and enjoys the attention.
Skills and abilities
Although usually considered a coward, Shaggy often proves useful in ferreting out the "monsters" and "ghosts" that are usually at the heart of the gang's mysteries, sometimes inadvertently, and sometimes by reluctantly acting as "live bait" for a trap, providing a necessary distraction for their eventual capture. Shaggy also has disguise and ventriloquism skills, as well as being athletic, which often helps the gang; in the episode What a Night for a Knight, Daphne says that he is the best gymnast in school, and he has also mentioned that he ran track. He has even dressed up as Daphne and Scooby on at least one occasion (usually for Halloween or something similar.) He is even capable of doing certain vocal impressions, from the Ghost of Redbeard (Go Away Ghost Ship) to even a train in a tunnel (Mine Your Own Business). He is also able to fly a plane, however he got lost and flew to the Himalayas instead of Hawaii. (To All the Ghouls I've Loved Before)
Shaggy also has an enormous appetite, being able to eat in tremendously large quantities at a time.
- Main article(s): Shaggy Rogers/animated history
- Main article(s): Shaggy Rogers/biographical account of comic appearances
- Main article(s): Shaggy Rogers/biographical account of novel appearances
Video game appearances
- Main article(s): Shaggy Rogers/biographical account of video game appearances
Family and relatives
There have been instances where Shaggy has noticed and gained the attention from the opposite sex over the years.
- Betty: (SD&SD (2nd series): Double Trouble Date)
- Googie: Shaggy's at-the-time girlfriend. (Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf)
- Sadie-Mae Scroggins: A southern girl who obsessively chased after Shaggy, even though he repeatedly made it clear he had no interest in her. (Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers)
- Crystal: A hippie girl who turned out to be an alien. (Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders)
- Shelly: A candy concession seller who had a crush on Shaggy, who was oblivious to it, and only saw her generosity as kindness. (WNSD: The Unnatural)
- Meadow: An old hippie friend who broke his heart being the Cat Creature. (WNSD: Homeward Hound)
- Rachel: A past girlfriend. (WNSD: A Scooby-Doo Valentine)
- Mei Ling: A Chinese acrobat. (WNSD: Block-Long Hong Kong Terror)
- Madelyn Dinkley: Madelyn, the younger sister of Velma, had a huge crush on Shaggy. In the end, Shaggy liked her too. (Scooby-Doo! Abracadabra-Doo)
Being only an amateur sleuth doesn't pay the bills, so Shaggy has had to find a source of income (and sometimes a profession if the gang decide to part ways for a while), and has taken on a variety of different jobs through his life. This is a list of them:
- Junior detectives-for-hire: Contrary to the above, when the gang was in their preadolescence, they worked out of a clubhouse, calling themselves the Scooby-Doo Detective Agency, and charged a minimal fee for their services in solving the mysteries in their hometown of Coolsville. (APNSD)
- Paper boy: In junior high, he was a paper boy for the Daily Babbler, until he found out his boss stole his bike chain to work his counterfeiting machine, causing him to quit. (APNSD: A Bicycle Built for Boo!)
- Movie extra: The gang was given parts as extras in Sandy Duncan's film, after solving the case at Mammoth Studios. (TNSDMovies: Sandy Duncan's Jekyll and Hyde)
- Carnival owner: Scooby, along with the rest of the gang, was given a share of Dick Van Dyke's carnival, after saving it from going under. (TNSDMovies: The Haunted Carnival)
- Construction worker: He, Scooby and Fred took questionable jobs at a construction site. This was simply to make some extra cash. (TSDS: High Rise Hair Raiser)
- Detective: He, Scooby and Scrappy worked for his uncle Fearless Shagaford at the Fearless Detective Agency. (The Scooby & Scrappy Doo Puppy Hour)
- Freelance journalist: Scooby, Shaggy, Scrappy, and Daphne became freelance journalists, forming the second incarnation of the Scooby-Doo Detective Agency. (TNS&SDS, TNSDMysteries)
- Gym teacher: He, Scooby and Scrappy were hired as gym teachers at Grimwood's Finishing School for Girls, or so they believed. (Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School)
- Racecar driver. (Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf)
- Aiport customs: He and Scooby worked in customs at an airport during the break-up of Mystery Inc., but were fired when they ate all the confiscated cheese. (Scooby-Doo On Zombie Island)
Behind the scenes
The inspiration for the character came from Maynard G. Krebs, a hippy character played by Bob Denver in the early 1960s sitcom The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. His surname was first published in stories by Marvel Comics, then became validated in cartoon form in the The New Scooby and Scrappy Doo Show episode Wedding Bell Boos!
Voices of Shaggy
Casey Kasem played Shaggy for a time where he was portrayed as a vegetarian, by request of Kasem, who is a vegan. In the past, Shaggy had a tendency to overeat and eat anything he could. Kasem disagreed with this portrayal, and in 1995 he walked out on the role when Shaggy and Scooby-Doo were to be portrayed in a Burger King commercial. He also did this because the producers of Scooby Doo would not turn Shaggy into a vegan, which Kasem is. Therefore he quit, later to rejoin the crew when they allowed Shaggy to be a vegan, only ten years later, in the series What's New, Scooby-Doo?.
Scott Innes and Billy West briefly took over the role in several of the direct-to-video films produced in the late 1990s and early 2000s. From 2010, Matthew Lillard had been selected to voice Shaggy Rogers, having previously played the role in the 2002 and 2004 live-action films.
In other languages
- Shaggy's the only human member of the gang to have a proper girlfriend (Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf, WNSD: A Scooby-Doo Valentine), and think about being in a committed relationship. (Scooby-Doo And The Alien Invaders)
- He can play guitar. (SDWAY: The Haunted House Hang-Up)
- He claimed to know how to play Chinese Checkers. (SDWAY: Mystery Mask Mix-Up)
- He can play tournament-level miniature golf. (WNSD: A Terrifying Round With A Menacing Metallic Clown)
See also: LEGO.
- Biographical account of comic appearances
- Biographical account of novel appearances
- Biographical account of video game appearances
- Categorised images
- Shaggy Rogers's cell phone (What's New, Scooby-Doo?)
- Scooby-Doo and Shaggy Rogers
- Shaggy Rogers and Velma Dinkley
- Shaggy Rogers and Fred Jones
- Shaggy Rogers and Daphne Blake
- Scooby-Doo, Shaggy Rogers, and Scrappy-Doo
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 APNSD: The Sludge Monster from the Earth's Core, season 1, episode 2.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 TNSD&SDS: Wedding Bell Boos!, season 1, episode 13.
- ↑ Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf, television film.
- ↑ Evanier, Mark (June 10, 2002). Shaggy Dog Story". Retrieved March 28, 2018.
- ↑ Ruegger, Tom (February 17, 2016). "I definitely came up with the name Norville for Shaggy and I named the hometown Coolsville. All for "Pup". Twitter. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- ↑ Ruegger, Tom (February 17, 2016). "I named Shaggy "Norville" after another great comedy duo member -- Oliver Norville Hardy". Twitter. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- ↑ Literal translation of Shaggy.