Professor Alfred Einstone and Tim Edistone are creating a time machine from rocks in the time of the cavemen, that, when activated, brings Mystery Inc. 10,000 years in the future whilst they were unmasking a criminal. Unfortunately, Einstone's machine only brought things into the past, and he couldn't send things into the future. In order to make the gang comfortable while they wait for the time machine to be ready, he introduces them to Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble, who revealed that caveman society was extremely similar to modern day society. Fred (Flintstone) then invited the group to their house for dinner, where they are introduced to the Flintstone family (Dino, Wilma, and Pebbles) and the Rubble family (Betty and Bamm-Bamm). As they have dinner, Betty reveals that thery were all going to the opera later. Fred (Flintstone) and Barney initially protest, wanting to go bowling, and try to use the story of the "Phantom of the Operrock" in order to dissuade her. They fail, and everyone ends up at the opera in the evening.
At the opera, Fred (Flintstone) hides his bowling ball, and leaves with Barney suspiciously out of the theater. Suddenly, the Phantom leaps onto the stage, and tried to get the audience to leave the stage in fear. Wilma, angered, goes onto the stage to tell the Phantom off as she belived he was Fred (Flintstone). However, he and Barney go up on stage behind her, revealing that the Phantom was not her husband after all. The theater evacuates, with the Rubbles Family, Scooby, and Shaggy hide under giant turtle shells. Fred (Flintstone) grabs his bowling ball before they escape, but Bamm-Bamm grabs the attention of the Phantom. However, Bamm-Bamm grabs ahold of the Phantom's toe, and repeatedly slams him into the ground, stunning him.
Noticing that he was hitting the ground much more solidly than a phantom should have, Fred (Jones) unmasks him, revealing him to be Flint Pumice. Pumice wanted to build a new shopping mall, and he needed the land the opera was on in order to build it. He was trying to scare the audience away every night so that the owners would need to sell the opera house. Pumice than tries to distract the group so that he could escape, but Fred (Flintstone) uses his bowling ball in order to knock him down, allowing him to be arrested. Realizing that Mystery Inc. was trapped in the past, Barney and Fred (Flintstone) call upon their friend, the Great Gazoo, for help. Although initially believing that Gazoo was another fifth dimensional imp, they accepted his help to be sent into the future. However, they missed their time period and moved far into the future into the home of the Jetsons.
- Professor Alfred Einstone (only appearance)
- Tim Edistone (only appearance)
- Fred Flintstone (only appearance)
- Wilma Flintstone (only appearance)
- Barney Rubble (only appearance)
- Betty Rubble (only appearance)
- Great Gazoo (only appearance)
- Grumpy Ghost of Grizzly Grotto (first mentioned)
- Phantom of the Operrock (only appearance)(Flint Pumice's disguise)
- Flint Pumice (only appearance)
- Hamstersaurus (only appearance)(no lines)
- Dino (only appearance)(no lines)
- Pebbles Flintstone (only appearance)(no lines)
- Bamm-Bamm Rubble (only appearance)
- Gruesomes (only appearance)(cameo)
- Schneider (only appearance)(no lines)(cameo)
- Opera audience (only appearance)(miscellaneous speaking)
- Enrocko Carustone (only appearance)
- Band players (only appearance)(no lines)
- Police officer (only appearance)(no lines)
- Air mail pterodactyl (only appearance)
- George Jetson (no lines)(cameo)
- Astro (first appearance)(no lines)(cameo)
- Stone Age
- Modern Age
- Grizzly Grotto (mentioned)
- Space Age
- Alfred Einstone's time machine
- Velma's magnifying glass
- Bedrock Bugle
- Bamm-Bamm Rubble's club
- Bowling ball
|Fred Flintstone||He wanted to get out of going to the opera, and he looked just like the Phantom of the Operrock.|
|Flint Pumice as the Phantom of the Operrock||The opera house was taking up the land he wanted his new mall to be.|
- Fred thinks the Great Gazoo is "Flintstone-Mite", a reference to Bat-Mite and Scooby-Mite from Two Mites Make It Wrong.
The following credits try to match how they are displayed in the comic as much as possible:
- Story by: Sholly Fisch
- Art by: Scott Jeralds
- Colors by: Franco Riesco
- Letters by: Saida Temofonte
- Cover by: Dario Brizuela with Franco Riesco
- Assistant edits by: Jessica Chen
- Edits by: Kristy Quinn
- This story marks the first appearance of The Flintstones characters (as well as George Jetson and Astro) in a comic book since the cancellation of The Flintstones and the Jetsons almost sixteen years earlier.
- Flint Pumice's design is based on Big Rock from the Flintstones TV movie Hollyrock-a-Bye Baby. Except in the latter, Big Rock's hair was brown, instead of gray.
- When Daphne is introduced to the Gruesomes, she says she might have met their descendants, possibly a reference to their present-day counterparts in the Laff-a-Lympics TV series, the Creepleys, or to the gang meeting the Addams Family in The New Scooby-Doo Movies: Wednesday is Missing.
- The cliffhanger is resolved in the next story in Team-Up #8.
- Alfred Einstone and Tim Edistone are prehistoric counterparts of Albert Einstein and Thomas Edison, respectively.
- The Flintstones and Rubbles guest star from their cartoon, The Flintstones.
- Dino talks sophisticated when in conversation with Scooby, possibly a reference to the The Snorkasaurus Hunter episode, which tried to give him a new origin as a talking dinosaur, which was never used after, as he went back to being as regular, non-talking dinosaur (which he already was before that episode).
- The Gruesomes are from the season five episodes, The Gruesomes and The Hatrocks and the Gruesomes.
- The Great Gazoo was introduced in the season six episode The Great Gazoo, and guest starred throughout the season. His reason for being exiled was because he made a button that could destroy the universe because he wanted to be the first one to do it.
- At one point, Fred mentions Barney constantly stealing his cereal, a reference to the Pebbles cereal commercials.
- None known.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- Edistone calls Einstone, "Professor", while Shaggy and Flintstone call him "Dr. Einstone" and "Doc," respectively.
- Scooby-Doo and Shaggy's time in the Laff-a-Lympics TV series is ignored, otherwise they wouldn't be much surprised to see Flintstone and Rubble in Bedrock, though this could take place before Laff-a-Lympics (if that's even believable).