Shaggy becomes the unlikely caddy of celebrity basketball player Chris Paul, when the latter enters a charity golf tournament to help an art school, which is not only on the brink of closing, but also haunted by a swamp monster.
A golfer is with his caddy, when the caddy ran away because he was scared of the Swamp Monster. The man continued playing, when the Swamp Monster appeared behind him. It took him away, leaving only his glasses.
The next day, the gang are in the middle of unmasking the Bee Man of Alcatraz, when suddenly an old, rich friend phones Shaggy, requesting that he be his caddy at a golf tournament instantly. Just then, a helicopter arrives to pick them up! Shaggy informs the gang that they must go, so the gang unmask the Bee Man quickly and the police takes him away. As the gang fly away, Bob the beekeeper said the "meddling kids" catchphrase, but due to the helicopter, they could not hear him. Shaggy told the gang that they are headed to Lost Springs golf course, and when Velma discovers the golfers are going missing there, Shaggy said that golf is a dangerous sport. Velma said that there is a rumor that the Swamp Monster takes them, and Shaggy and Scooby seem spooked, but they already arrived and Shaggy met his friend - Chris Paul! Shaggy didn't want to be the Chris's caddy, but Chris reminded him that he once saved Shaggy's life. The gang decided to catch the monster, while Scooby was trying to catch some squirrels. The gang came to the art school, and Chris told them that if the tournament will close, the school will be closed too! An angry teacher said that the school WILL close, but Chris said that he teaches some children here. It turned out he taught them basketball, and he even made outdoor bowling lanes for them. The children started bowling, and Scooby too!
Scooby hit the ground with the ball and the ground started falling underground with the children, saved by Chris. When they got out, Velma explained it was a sink hole.
The teacher appeared again and said that the school is doomed, while the competition already started, where the gang met some suspicious characters.
Each member of the gang suspected a different person. They decided to find out more when the competition started and Shaggy went with Chris to be his caddy. Shaggy helped Chris to choose a club. Then Chris hit the ball but missed - the ball fell in a tree, and when he tried again, it fell into a lake. Shaggy started to calm Chris down, telling him that "golf is like a sandwich". Chris hit the ball again and it almost fell into the hole, so Chris thanked Shaggy for advice and Shaggy replied he was just hungry and was busy making a "sand-wish". The competition continued, and nobody noticed the Swamp Monster hiding in the lake near Chris's ball. The golf announcer was sitting and announcing what happens on the field, but he was attacked by the Swamp Monster and ran away, while Scooby chased the squirrels in the tent the announcer was sitting in before he was attacked. Scooby didn't find the squirrels, but he saw that the announcer is missing and began announcing the competition himself. The Swamp Monster appeared out of the water, the players and the gang began running away, and Scooby was commenting it all. The Swamp Monster saw Scooby and ran to the tent, the tent fell on Scooby and the creature, and when the gang helped the dog, the monster was gone! The gang began investigating this mystery, interested in how did the monster disappear, and Shaggy, Scooby and Chris were standing near the hot dog tent. They started playing basketball with the hot dogs, and Shaggy always ended up eating one. Finally Scooby caught one, but the squirrels took it away, so Scooby chased them and found a clue - a scuba divers regulator, and Velma had an idea.
They decided to dive under the lake to search for clues.
They found an underwater cave and swam to see it. Then they found an another clue - full scuba tanks! Then the Swamp Monster attacked them, so they began the Scooby Dooby Doors chase through the caves.
After the chase, they got out of the water. Velma discovered they are near the Art School, but the monster came to get them, so they hid in the school, with Daphne, Velma and Fred pretending to be statues. The monster didn't recognize them and went in the classroom. He saw Chris Paul dressed up as a teacher and the two pals as classmates, who were secretly sending papers with drawings to the monster while Chris told them about art. The paper said that the monster is a "dum", so he chased the three guys again, and they ran through the school!
Shaggy set the fire alarm system, and it was so loud, the monster ran away in the lake, with a compass used by land surveyors falling from his pocket.
Velma said that this mystery is becoming to come together, when the competition continued!
Shaggy was going to the field when the caddy from the flashback followed him. He told him that he is a big fan and that Shaggy must run away because the monster mustn't get him. Shaggy became scared and didn't want to go when Chris remembered him he saved his life again. Then Velma decided she wants to know HOW Mr. Paul saved his life. Shaggy told her Chris shared his pizza with him, and the gang was shocked.Fred had a plan, but to make it work, Shaggy, Scooby and Chris must run to the 18th hole.
After the competition resumes, the monster began secretly kidnapping people until Chris, Shaggy and Scooby were the only golfers left! As the Swamp Monster went after them, Chris stated that he won't let the monster stop him from finishing the game. So while the monster ran after them, Chris Paul continued to play on the run, eventually they jumped in the go-cart and rode to the 18th hole.
As the monster gained on them, the trio jumped from the cart, only for it to speed towards Fred and the girls, forcing them to leap into the river. In the same time, Chris tried to run to the hole to make the ball slide in the hole, but the monster was running to get him. Fred cried for Shaggy and Scooby to push the flag, which they complied, only for the monster to run towards them. Thankfully, the squirrels showed up and pushed the flag, leading to a net falling on the monster and capture it.
The Swamp Monster was subsequently unmasked as the caddy from the flashback, who was seeking to buy the land cheap and build condos. Afterwards, Chris tried to put the ball in the hole... but missed. It took him all night before he finally succeeded and won.
- Mystery Inc.
- Chris Paul (only appearance)(main story and flashback)
- Bee Man of Alcatraz (only appearance)(no lines)(Bob the Beekeeper's disguise)
- Bob the Beekeeper (only appearance)
- Swamp Monster (only appearance)(no lines)(caddy's disguise)
- Caddy (only appearance)
- Golfer (only appearance)
- Police officer 1 (only appearance)(no lines)
- Police officer 2 (only appearance)(no lines)
- Gophers (only appearance)(no lines)
- Teacher (only appearance)
- Kids (only appearance)(miscellaneous speaking)
- Golf announcer (only appearance)
- Burt Friendly (only appearance)(no lines)
- Arthur C. Habberknackles (only appearance)(no lines)
- Hadlee P. Jones (only appearance)(no lines)
- Squirrel (only appearance)(no lines)
- Miscellaneous golfers (only appearance)(no lines)
- Police officer 3 (only appearance)(no lines)
- San Francisco, California
- The Moon (cameo)
- Bowling bowls
- Scooby Snacks
- Hot dogs
- Hot dog buns
- Caddy's compass
- Pizza (main story and flashback)
- The Mystery Machine
- Chris Paul's helicopter
- Golf karts
|Teacher||She acted spooky, said that the school is doomed.|
|Burt Friendly||Land developer.|
|Arthur C. Habberknackles||Self-proclaimed child-hater and art-despiser.|
|Hadlee P. Jones||Trying to buy the land for years.|
|Bob the Beekeeper as the Bee Man of Alcatraz||Unknown.|
|Caddy as the Swamp Monster||To buy the land cheap and build expensive condos.|
|Matthew Lillard||Shaggy Rogers|
|Grey Griffin||Daphne Blake|
|Kate Micucci||Velma Dinkley|
- Shaggy announces the celebrity guest in the title card, as an allusion to The New Scooby-Doo Movies. Announcing duties are not exclusive to Shaggy in Guess Who, as Velma has a turn in the next episode, A Mystery Solving Gang Divided. Often the Gang member announcing the guest is revealed to have a connection to the guest within the episode itself.
- Shaggy being talented in golfing has been seen before in A Terrifying Round with a Menacing Metallic Clown, an episode of What's New, Scooby-Doo?
- The kids in orange scuba gear, and Scooby in green, is an allusion to the Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! episode A Clue for Scooby Doo.
- Though this is the first episode aired on Boomerang, it is not the first episode produced.
- Frank Welker and Kate Micucci are uncredited for voicing the swamp monster and the kids, respectively.
- Disguises: Fred, Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby as artists; Daphne as art model.
- Traps: Net.
- Scooby Snacks bribe: 0.
- "Ruh-roh" count: 0.
- "Zoinks" count: 0.
- "Jeepers" count: 0.
- "Jinkies" count: 0.
- "Hold the phone" count: 1.
- The Bee Man of Alcatraz is a parody of the Birdman of Alcatraz, aka Robert Stroud, a convicted murderer who raised and wrote books about birds while he was an inmate of Leavenworth Penitentiary, but gained more popularity while at Alcatraz, mostly due to the film Birdman of Alcatraz, starring Burt Lancaster.
- While Chris Paul is pretending to teach art to confuse the Swamp Monster, he notes "There are no mistakes, only happy accidents." This is a famous quote attributed to the late television painter Bob Ross.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- As the swamp monster is chasing CP, Shaggy and Scooby-Doo in a golf cart, for a brief moment, their golf cart, changes from yellow to orange.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- Contrary to the title of the episode, the swamp monster's objective doesn't seem to be revenge based.
- While escaping the Swamp Monster, CP holes a putt. But without removing the ball from the hole, Shaggy manages to replace the flag. The ball should prevent this.
- Scooby refers to the gophers as squirrels.
- In the same night, the full moon has somehow managed to become a crescent moon.
- The scoreboard incorrectly lists Burt Friendly as A. Friendly.
In other languages
|Greek||Η Εκδίκηση του Τέρατος του Βάλτου||The Revenge of the Monster of the Swamp|
|Polish||Zemsta bagiennego potwora||Swamp Monster's Revenge|
|Russian||Месть Болотного Монстра!||Revenge of the Swamp Monster!|
|Turkish||Bataklık Canavarının İntikamı||Swamp Monster Revenge|
|Ukrainian||Помста Болотного Монстра!||Revenge of the Swamp Monster!|
- Scooby-Doo! and Guess Who?: The Complete First Season DVD set released by Warner Home Video on January 19, 2021.
- Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?: The Complete First Season DVD set released by Warner Home Video in January 18, 2021.
- Scooby-Doo! and Guess Who?: Season One, Volume One DVD released by Warner Home Video on May 31, 2021.
Bob the Beekeeper: And I would have got away with it... (rest drowned out by the sound of Chris Paul's helicopter)
Announcer: Welcome everyone to the last 18 holes of the Lost Waters Fundraiser Tournament. Let's meet the top three remaining golfers who haven't been taken by the Swamp Monster. Burt Friendly, professional nice guy and local land developer.
Announcer: (with deadpan delivery) Well, folks, we're down to our last holes of golf, and our last remaining golfers. Seems that Swamp Monster has been very busy. So let's hope at least one of our golfers can survive to the end.
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|-||Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?
|A Mystery Solving Gang Divided|