Mystery Inc. arrives in order to investigate the appearance of a bat-creature in the area, and meet up with Batman and Robin. The Dynamic Duo were chasing Man-Bat, who they had chased from Gotham City. The gang realizes that the strange sightings of a bat-creature may have referred to Man-Bat, and learn of his backstory as Kirk Langstrom from Batman. Langstrom became the Man-Batwhile by testing a Bat Extract on himself trying to learn to cure human deafness. Just as Batman finished telling Man-Bat's backstory, a scream was let out of a shopping mall. The Gang and Dynamic Duo rushed in to investigate.
They discovered a group of thieves that looked like Man-Bat robbing the store. After spotting them, the thieves attempt to run away, but were caught by a well placed throw of a Batarang onto a net from Batman. Batman deduced from their attempt to run, rather than fly, that they wer not the real Man-Bat, simply men in costumes. The Dynamic Duo and Velma then proved his point by unmasking the thieves, revealing humans underneath the costumes. The thieves had taken advantage of the rumors of Man-Bat being in the area to attempt to steal from the mall. Velma then spotted the real Man-Bat eating out of the Bobby Bigburger and rushed to capture him. Shaggy attempts to de-mask the creature, but quickly realizes the truth when Man-Bat takes off with him still holding on. Scooby-Doo tries to hold Shaggy down, but is pulled up with him. The thieves, realizing the heroes are distracted, then try to escape. Daphne , however, throws a Batarang in order to stop the thieves. She stops one, and Fred stops another using a giant skateboard. The last was stopped by Robin in the parking lot. Meanwhile, Batman leaps onto the creature and attempts to give Man-Bat the antidote in order to cure him. He drops it, but Scooby catches it with his tail and throws it back. Batman then gives Man-Bat the antidote and they all fall towards the ground, where the gang catches them with the net that once had caught the thieves. The thieves are arrested, Man-Bat is cured, and Mystery Inc. is invited to the next meeting of the Mystery Analysts .
- Batman (first comic appearance)(main story and flashback)
- Robin (first comic appearance)(main story and flashback)
- Man-Bat (single appearance)(no lines)(main story and flashback)(transformation)
- Dr. Kirk Langstrom (single appearance)(main story and flashback)(redeemed)
- Bat-robbers (single appearance)(robbers' disguise)
- Robbers (single appearance)
- Joker (first time mentioned in a comic)
- Penguin (first time mentioned in comic)
- Sonny Bono (indirectly mentioned)
- Cher (indirectly mentioned)
- Harlem Globetrotters (indirectly mentioned)
- Davy Jones (indirectly mentioned)
- Jerry Reed (indirectly mentioned)
- Josie and the Pussycats (indirectly mentioned)
- Cass Elliot (indirectly mentioned)
- Jimmy Olsen (first mentioned)
- Police officer (single appearance)(no lines)
- Mystery Analysts of Gotham City (first mentioned)
- Unnamed town
- Gotham City (flashback only)
- Mystery Inc.'s flashlights
- Man-Bat serum
- Giant skateboard
- Man-Bat antidote
- Fishing net
- Bat-robber mask
|Robbers as bat-robbers||To steal.|
- Mystery Inc. met Batman and Robin in the The New Scooby-Doo Movies episodes The Dynamic Scooby-Doo Affair and The Caped Crusader Caper. The run-ins they had with many of the celebrities they had at the same time are also indirectly mentioned.
The following credits try to match how they are displayed in the comic as much as possible:
- Writer: Sholly Fisch
- Artist: Dario Brizuela
- Colorist: Heroic Age
- Letterer: Saida Temofonte
- Cover artist: Dario Brizuela
- Assistant editor: Jessica Chen
- Editor: Kristy Quinn
- Batman created by: Bob Kane
- Special thanks to: Leandro Corral
- The Batarang appears for the first time, which hadn't appeared in The New Scooby-Doo Movies, possibly because it was seen as too violent at that point for Scooby-Doo.
- The gang's invite to the Mystery Analysts' convention sets up the next story, Who's Scared?
- None known.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- Daphne generalises their last encounter with Joker and Penguin, but this did happen twice (three, if one counts the Scooby-Doo segment in the Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode Bat-Mite Presents: Batman's Strangest Cases!, as being canon).