- For other incarnations, see Charlie the Funland Robot (disambiguation).
|This needs a stretch. (Feel free to remove when satisfied of completion.)|
Needed: History needs more details.
Charlie is a tall humanoid made of metal. He has no mouth, but he does have what looks like a nose, and his bright yellow eyes resemble tiny headlights. The top part of his head, fused with his round "ears", is vaguely shaped as a construction helmet. Charlie's entire body is predominantly painted in two different shades of blue, except for his purple thorax and beige face.
It's unknown what Charlie was like after first being activated, but when Sarah Jenkins sabotaged him the robot became mischievous and at times destructive. Since being repaired after having been short-circuited, his settings were improved to be nicer, which proved successful when he was able to gently scratch Scooby-Doo's ears to the latter's great pleasure.
Powers and abilities
Charlie was created with superhuman strength and endurance. For example, he was able to tear through a brick wall without incident. He was also incredibly fast. Charlie had control over almost every aspect of the amusement park from the rides and the lights to the food stands, and even the cash registers. The android's only weakness was a powerful electromagnet.
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!
The robot went haywire and left a path of destruction when Jenkins's sister, Sarah messed it up, since she believed robots should not work in a place where children were present. Her brother agreed and repaired him, giving him a sense of emotion, renaming him Charlie the Second. He proved his new gentler reprogramming had worked as he gave Scooby-Doo a few strokes on his head.<
- Charlie can be considered to be the first "real monster" to appear in the entire franchise, and not a common criminal in a mask.
- Being a robot, Charlie had no means of wrongdoing on his own, he was reprogrammed to wreak havoc, and as such is not at fault like most of the other show's villains.
- Charlie is in the opening theme song and closing credits for season 1, until he was replaced by the Witch Doctor for season 2.
- In Shaggy Busted, Shaggy and Scooby are put in prison and encounter various costumed villains from the original show such as the Ghost Clown, the Ghost of Redbeard, and Charlie the Funland Robot. However, Charlie was not a man in a costume but an actual functioning robot. This further supports the idea that this episode is non-canon (although DC Comics also made the same mistake).
- He appears as a recurring enemy in the 'Secret Lab' area of the PS2/GC video game Scooby-Doo! Night of 100 Frights. He's called 'Funland Robot' and is unlockable in the Monster Gallery by Monster Token.