Velma emails the rest of the gang, saying, "Midnight." Her mother comes in, telling her to get to bed.
Fred was welding something when he got the email. He tells his father, Mayor Jones, that he's going to bed. Mayor Jones tells Fred that even though he disapproves of his mystery obsession, he still loves him. He leaves, and Fred steals the key to City Hall and brings a picture of his mother.
The gang meets up in front of City Hall, ready to search. They are still mad at Velma for not telling them about Angel and that she chose Cassidy Williams over her friends. Shaggy asks why but Velma points out that Shaggy chose his dog over her. They enter into Mayor Jones' office and search the place. Shaggy bumps into a cabinet which opened a drawer containing a scroll. Inside the scroll is a drawing of the Planispheric Disc and a paper copy of one of the pieces. They were about to leave, when they encounter the Freak of Crystal Cove . Terrified, they flee City Hall and come face to face with Sheriff Bronson Stone.
The gang was taken into one of the cells in the police station in front of each member's parents. The parents demand the Sheriff let the kids go, but he refuses, calling them,"vicious repeat felons." Mayor Jones tells the sheriff to let them go, because he's not pressing charges. Fred tries to apologize but the mayor won’t have it. Daphne's father says he's forbidding her from seeing Fred again, but is shocked to hear that Daphne and Fred had secretly gotten engaged, an announcement which also surprises the rest of the gang. As the gang and their families leave, Daphne's mother blames the mayor for all of their problems. However the gang has a getaway plan from their parents. As the gang is taken home, Angel or rather Cassidy witnesses this and calls up Ed.
Unfortunately, the Freak attacks them again, causing Shaggy and Scooby to jump out the window while their parents were painting still lifes. Ed Machine appears, telling them to get in the car. They, and everyone else in the gang were driven to K-Ghoul Radio Station. Cassidy Williams tries to get a truce with the gang, but they end up locking her in her studio. She tries to call Ed but he left his phone in the car and seconds after arriving home, Professor Pericles kills him.
The gang returns to the old Spanish church. They set down the piece, and Velma figures out the location of the supposed treasure. Apparently, by shining light through the paper copy and the piece they had, it revealed coordinates to the treasure. Scooby plugged the coordinates into the GPS, and found the treasure.
Unfortunately they didn't realize Professor Pericles had been tracking the gang. He was about to steal the piece from them, but they see the Freak again. The Freak knocks out Pericles, takes the piece from Fred's hands and runs away. Fred kicks the treasure chest, triggering a booby trap that flooded the place. The Freak and the gang got washed away.
The Freak tries to flee the area by climbing the cliff. However, Fred climbs up after him. Just then, part of the cliff collapses. Fred was about to fall to his death, but the Freak rescued him. Fred chases him and tackles the Freak and pins him down.
Sheriff Stone, as well as Cassidy and all the parents, arrive to the scene. Fred, with a heavy heart, announces the Freak of Crystal Cove was none other than his father. He figured out something was amiss when he found out the picture of his mother was a cut out from a magazine and the date on the back was the day he was born. Fred then angrily asks his Father why he did all of this. The mayor says that he had come to Crystal Cove in search of the cursed treasure . He learned about the conquistadors via the town archives and teamed up with Professor Pericles to take the piece from the original Mystery Inc. By dressing up as the Freak and fabricating documents, he was able to get the piece and drive the old gang out of town. With a heavy heart, he says that Brad Chiles, not him, is Fred's real father. He then goes on to tell Fred that after Fred's parents gave birth to him, he took Fred from them, in order to keep them away from Crystal Cove. Fred is furious at this and while Fred Sr. tries to assure Fred he still cares about him, Fred knows that he was just using him.
During this argument, they never noticed Professor Pericles stealing the piece. Everyone was shocked when they noticed the piece was gone. Saddened, Fred calls off the engagement and announces he's leaving Crystal Cove in search of his real parents. Before he's out of sight, Fred declares that Mystery Incorporated is dead. Shaggy's parents tell him that after much thought, they're sending Shaggy to military school and Scooby to live on a farm. Velma tries to comfort a broken hearted Daphne, but she blames Velma for not telling them everything and leaves. Scooby sadly goes into the car where Professor Pericles holds the two pieces, gloats and leaves. Before Pericles is out of sight Scooby vows that he will get the gang back and they will stop him or his name isn't Scooby Dooby-Doo!
- Original Mystery Incorporated (flashback only)
- Angie Dinkley
- Sheriff Bronson Stone
- Colton Rogers
- Nan Blake
- Barty Blake
- Dale Dinkley
- Paula Rogers
- Angel Dynamite
- Ed Machine
- Professor Pericles (main story and flashback)
- Freak of Crystal Cove (first full appearance)(final appearance)(main story and flashback)(Mayor Fred Jones, Sr.'s disguise)
- Mayor Fred Jones, Sr.
- Mr. E (mentioned)
- Crystal Cove
- Old Spanish Church (main story and flashback)
- Crystal Cove Caves (main story and flashback)
- Dinkley home
- Rogers Mansion
- Blake Mansion
- Jones mansion
- Crystal Cove City Hall
- Crystal Cove Police Department
- Ed Machine's home
- Darrow University (flashback only)
- Crystal Cove Cemetery (flashback only)
- Crystal Cove Animal Asylum for the Criminally Insane (flashback only)
- Barnstow Military Academy (mentioned)
- Old Spanish Church (main story and flashback)
- The Mystery Machine
- Ed Machine's car
- Sheriff Stone's police car
- Angie Dinkley's car
- Colton Rogers's car
- Blake's car
- Fred Jones Sr's Car
|Mayor Jones as the Freak of Crystal Cove||After the cursed treasure.|
- The previous episode set up the original Mystery Inc.'s investigation at the Old Spanish Church.
- How Judy Reeves lost her locket is shown, which Daphne found in the first episode.
- Velma's blog was first seen in The Siren's Song.
- Fred proposed in Dead Justice.
- Mayor Jones has been hinted to know more than he let on ever since the first episode, and Professor Pericles warned Fred Jr. about him in Howl of the Fright Hound and A Haunting in Crystal Cove.
- After planning how to make the perfect engagement announcement and being critical of how her sisters handled theirs, Daphne ironically does it at the worst possible time, when her parents are getting her out of jail for breaking into the Mayor's office along with Fred and the gang.
- The scene where Professor Pericles was in Ed Machine's house foreshadowed Come Undone. His shadow was much larger than him, similar to how he was when the Evil Entity took control of his body, before changing its appearance.
- This episode reveals that Scooby's full name in this incarnation is "Scooby-Dooby-Doo".
- Frank Welker is uncredited as Barty Blake.
- Caption error: There is a period (.) instead of an exclamation point (!) when Scooby vows to bring the gang back together and stop Pericles.
- The Italian name for this episode, 'Fine Della Storia', translates as 'End of The Story', even though this is only the end of the season, with much of the key plot/story still to come in Season Two.
- This is the first time that a season finale leaves a cliffhanger for the next season.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- The piece of the Planispheric Disk that Velma takes into the caves has the shape of the piece from the Jones mansion that should be in the hands of Professor Pericles (since A Haunting in Crystal Cove), not the piece from the Darrow Mansion the gang had.
- When Fred takes out the picture of his "mother", there is a crinkle of crisp paper. He and everything in his pockets was recently immersed in water.
- Angel's headphones go on and off in the last scene from shot to shot.
- Nolan North is erroneously credited as "TV Reporter" which seems to have been mistakenly carried over from the previous episode's credits.
In other languages
|Italian||Fine Della Storia||End Of The Story|
|Spanish (Latin America)||El Fenómeno de Cueva Cristal||The Freak of Crystal Cove|
|Hungarian||Reszkessetek a Rémtől!||Beware from the Freak!|
|Greek||Όλοι Φοβούνται το Τέρας||All Fear the Monster|
|Polish||Tajemnica Dziwoląga||The Mystery of the Freak|
|Turkish||Ucubeden Herkes Korkar||Everyone Is Afraid of a Freak|
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: Season One, Part 2 - Crystal Cove Curse
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The Complete Season 1 DVD set released October 8, 2013.
- Best of Warner Bros. 50 Cartoon Collection: Scooby-Doo! DVD set released by Warner Home Video on August 13, 2019.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystères associés: L'intégrale de la saison 1 (Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The entirety of season 1) DVD set released by Warner Home Video on October 3, 2012.
Fred: Mystery Incorporated is dead.
Shaggy: Well like, dudes, I can't go to military school. I'm an eater, not a fighter.
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|Pawn of Shadows||Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated
|The Night the Clown Cried|