Shaggy competes in a mini-golf tournament that is terrorized by a giant metallic clown. In a surprising twist of events, Shaggy, driven by his desire to win the tournament, faces the monster boldly, and it is Velma, with a childhood trauma resurfaced, who ends up frightened by the monster of the day!
Ned and Stacy are playing late at Putt Putt Paradise; the latter wants to go home, but the former wants to finish his game. When Ned wins and he wants his free game, but when nothing happens he kicks the clown-themed golf course and in return it comes to life consuming the boy whole!
After that, the kids and dog are at a mini golf game, Shaggy is competing against Cougar Forrest and Miranda Wright. Daphne, Fred and Velma are looking around, which bothers Gary, the groundskeeper, who tells them to move a large tarp, revealing the clown game, which causes Velma to freak out and remember a traumatic experience of a crazed clown destroying her encyclopedias on her birthday - this reveals that Velma suffers from a crippling case of coulrophobia (extreme fear/aversion for clowns).
At the golf competition, Shaggy is winning and Miranda is losing. Scooby is scared of the haunted house game.
Just then a huge robot clown shows up, Shaggy throws popcorn in its face, attracting a flock of birds, who distract the clown. Shaggy did it because he's determined to win the game. Then he wants them to "get going" because he doesn't want them to cancel the game. Scooby and Velma are too scared and run off to play hooky.
Shaggy, Fred and Daphne look for clues and Daphne notices that Shaggy is acting funny, turning down food. Then they eavesdrop on the groundskeeper and the mayor. They find out the mayor is Gary's father and he hates how his son likes golf.
Then the three heroes sneak into the shed and find Shaggy's prize.
Scooby and Velma are eating candy floss, they find a machine Miranda is making. Then Scooby teaches Velma how to catch a flying pizza with her teeth and the clown shows up. It leads to a chase scene involving a ball pit and an ice cream machine.
Then they pretend to be trees. Shaggy thinks Cougar did it because he hates competition, then the clown eats Cougar.
The mayor decides it is best to cancel the tournament but Shaggy is determined to keep going.
Gary is angry at Shaggy for beating him at golf. Then Shaggy says to set a trap and use Scooby and Velma as bait, which riles Fred as he's the one who makes traps! Daphne bribes Scooby with a Scooby Snack and Velma with a CD. Those two drive off in a go kart and the clown eats Shaggy. Seeing her best friend being devoured infuriates Velma, who overcomes her fear and she attacks the clown and knocks it down. Shaggy emerges from the clown unharmed, though getting eaten freaks him out so much that he reverts to his original personality. Velma decides to unmask the clown revealing the culprit to be actually Mayor Smith Snipper. They thought it was his son, but it turns out the dad wanted to "ruin" his son's game.
Eventually Fred, Velma and Daphne find the three people who got "eaten" were tied up and gagged inside the medieval castle but O.K.
Shaggy finishes the game on a Scooby-themed course, and wins; the fake Scooby responds by saying "Scooby-Dooby-Doo!"
- Mystery Inc. (main story and flashback)
- Miranda Wright (single appearance)
- Cougar Forest (single appearance)
- Gary Snipper (single appearance)
- Menacing Metallic Clown (single appearance)(robot)
- Mayor Smith Snipper (single appearance)(redeemed)
- PA announcer (only time heard)
- Ned (single appearance)
- Stacy (single appearance)
- Bobo the Clown (single appearance)(flashback only)
- King Tut (mentioned)
- Mrs. Dinkley (mentioned)
- Miranda's van
|Gary Snipper||His grudge against Shaggy and his mechanical aptitude.|
|Miranda Wright||She would do anything to win and working on something mechanical.|
|Cougar Forest||To win the championship.|
|Mayor Snipper operating the Menacing Metallic Clown||To ruin mini-golf because it ruined his son's life.|
|"Something Special "||Written by Charlie Garriga, Anthony Civorelli, and Sam Siegler||CIV|
- Velma mentions how Hockey is the best sport when she hears how much Daphne praises Golf. This is further referenced in the previous episode, "Diamonds are Ghoul's Best Friend."
- This episode's flashback to Mystery Inc.'s younger years is done as a homage to the predecessor series, A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.
- In this episode Taylor Lautner guest stars as Ned (the Clown's first victim).
- Because of Velma's clown "allergy" (phobia) and Shaggy's determination to golf, they effectively switch roles and personalities during this case; Shaggy is the smart, brave, and bold one (qualities also similar to Fred), while Velma is the "scaredy cat" and hungry.
- The Go-Kart that Velma and Scooby are in to attract the Metallic Clown resembles the cars from one of the rides at Thrill Ride Park abliet painted orange.
- Cougar Forest is a Caucasian parody of African American pro golfer Tiger Woods.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- In Velma's flashback, the upper half of Shaggy's legs, including his lower waist, are missing.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- Shaggy's suddenly a mini-golf pro.
- In this episode, Velma's afraid of clowns, but in previous adventures she's shown to be fine with them, such as the Ghost Clown (Bedlam in the Big Top) or the Ghost of Zombo in Terror, Thy Name is Zombo. However, this show may be in an alternate universe from those two.
- The outfits worn in Velma's flashback are styled and colored more like those of their adult counterparts rather than the styles and colors worn in A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.
- In cartoon logic, the Menacing Metallic Clown slips on the gang, instead of crushing them to near-death or death.
- Apparently, Scooby is even a well known celebrity within the show, since he has his own themed mini-golf course!
In other languages
|Greek||Παιχνίδια με Έναν Εξαγριωμένο Μεταλλικό Κλόουν||A Round with an Angry Metallic Clown|
- What's New Scooby-Doo?: Volume 10 - Monstrous Tails DVD released December 5, 2006.
- What's New, Scooby-Doo?: Complete 3rd Season DVD set released January 8, 2008.
- Scooby-Doo! and the Circus Monsters DVD released March 12, 2013.
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|Diamonds Are a Ghoul's Best Friend|| What's New, Scooby-Doo?|